The Sheryl Erickson Scholarship Award
For High School Seniors currently enrolled in BYC
In 2017, Mrs. Sheryl Erickson retired from a diverse and impactful music-teaching career that spanned 38 years, influencing Bellevue Youth Choirs and the greater Seattle area. In addition to aiding the growth of the newly formed Concert & Premier Choirs of Bellevue Girlchoir, Sheryl helped set the standard of artistry and excellence for staff and choristers alike throughout BYC. When Mrs. Erickson retired in June 2017, BYC commemorated her excellent career and service by creating this scholarship in her name. Along with her leadership at Bellevue Youth Choirs, she taught at public elementary and secondary levels and was the Director of Choral Music at Bothell High School. Under her leadership the choirs upheld the Bothell High School tradition of excellence as they received superior ratings at festivals and contests in the Northwest. Mrs. Erickson sang with the Seattle Symphony Chorale and Northwest Chamber Chorus, and served as the associate director of the Choir of the Sound in the Seattle area. Her professional affiliations include the Washington Music Educators Association, the American Choral Directors Association, and the National Association of Teachers of Singing. Mrs. Erickson holds a Bachelor of Arts in Music and a Master of Arts in Music Education from the University of Washington. She frequently adjudicated choir and solo and ensemble festivals in the greater Seattle area and now continues her great work in Arizona during her retirement.
Sheryl Erickson Scholarship Award Eligibility Requirements:
- Senior in high school, currently enrolled in BYC
- Intends to participate in music at the collegiate level (major / minor or school organizations)
- Overall minimum GPA of 3.0
1. Completed application form, found here
2. A personal essay, discussing:
- The impact of music on your life thus far
- Your future goals in music
- Email the completed application form and essay back to BYC.
Selection Criteria: A subcommittee of the BYC Board will consider the following criteria with each application:
- Completed, on-time application form and essay.
- Essay is well written, personal and inspirational.
Requirements for Award Recipient:
- Submit a photo for the website announcement to [email protected]
- Work with the BYC Artistic Director to approve/edit a performance either video recorded or live at the Zoom Beach Party.
- Attend the Saturday June 8, 2020 Zoom Beach Party to accept the award.